The Calhoun County Museum was established in 1964 by the Calhoun County Commissioner’s Court. Originally housed in the

1896 Jail building, it eventually moved to the Courthouse Annex Building and then to its present location. The mission of the Calhoun County Museum is the acquisition, documentation, preservation, study and exhibition of artifacts relating to the history, natural history and maritime history of Calhoun County.

Passing this material culture on to future generations. Some of the outstanding exhibits include the Fresnel Lens from the 1852 Matagorda Island Lighthouse, an 8-foot

diorama of the town of Indianola, a collection of items from the Belle in an exhibit entitled the La Salle Odyssey and many more items dealing with the life and times of Calhoun County.